Saturday, April 14, 2007

Friday Night, Saturday Morning

Last night ended for me with a screening of Crazy Love. I did not applaud, but that's not because it isn't a well-made film. I was just left not knowing what I felt after seeing it. It has all the complications and strangeness you could want, but I can't talk myself into thinking it needed to be made, or that I needed to see it.

This morning started with two photography-related films:

Helmut by June far exceeded my expectations for two reasons: first, the program sounded almost apologetic about screening it, and second, I've seen several documentaries on Helmut Newton previously and they've all been boring. I think this one gets it right, and stays away from the overseriousness or attempted sexiness that just can't work in this type of film. It lets Newton's sense of humor come through, and more importantly lets us have a glimpse of his relationship with his wife June.

Eloquent Nude: The Love and Legacy of Edward Weston and Charis Wilson was also excellent, and while fairly conventional in style worked well for me. It is a tiny bit untrusting of the photographs, though -- telling us what to think and feel about each one, and steering us away from interpretations that it wants us to avoid. I recommend it, though, as a very clear revelation of the Wilson and Weston relationship and a study on the intersection of creativity and life.

No comments: