Thursday, March 18, 2010

East 75th



I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I always am: there's a really strong impulse in the photo community to conform. It's never said out loud, but look around a bit and you'll get the picture.

You'd think it would be the opposite: "I see a lot of zigging, perhaps I'll zag." But it's not. Zigging leads to more zigging.

I could be wrong, but I feel like photographers a few decades back took more pride in being out of step with the trends. I also feel you saw more "weird" images, and more breaks from the expected.

3 comments:

Chris said...

Great shot, and an excellent observation. A quick flip through most photo mags reveal page after page of the same mountain, same waterfall, same canyon month after month. While these spots are beautiful and deserving of conservation and photography I think it's a mistake to try to duplicate what has already been done. Afterall, isn't a big part of photography "vision". Without it, we are just glorified copy machines.

pop art said...

It is a very good picuture with its high resolution. I am really interested with your pictures. What kind of camera you use to take these pictures?

Ted Fisher said...

Hi Pop Art,

This was just a snapshot with the iPhone -- which does fine for Web use, but isn't very high resolution. Sometimes the appearance of a lot of resolution in an image can arise out of other factors, too.

tf