Sunday, July 03, 2011

Backstory, Part One



I'm preparing for a new term of teaching Photojournalism online, so I've decided to take a look back at my earliest involvement in the field.

In 1988 I began working for my college newspaper -- the California State University San Bernardino Chronicle -- and stayed involved for several years. (I eventually worked there as a photographer, as a writer, as Managing Editor and as Photo Editor.)

I haven't saved many tearsheets from those days, but I found a complete copy of the May 23, 1990 edition and for fun I've scanned my contributions for that issue.

Above: In those days I shot baseball with a Pentax K1000 and Tri-X film. No motor drive, so just one chance to get the timing right. I don't remember what settings I used, but I like the shutter speed -- fast enough to freeze the bat, but slow enough to let the ball blur.

No comments: