Monday, February 27, 2012

DocuDay and the Oscars



I went to DocuDay on Saturday, watching all the Academy Award nominated docs from 9 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. -- but couldn't stay for "Undefeated," thereby guaranteeing it the win. I was also able to predict that "Saving Face" would win. I'm not sure why I knew that.

But the two real surprises:

1. DSLR video was key to "The Tsunami and the Cherry Blossom," shot on a Canon 7D, and also "Hell and Back Again," shot in essentially a photojournalistic style but on video.

2. The 3D look and feel of "Pina," which I thought I would hate, worked. Worked very well, even. Biggest surprise: Wim Wenders was very clear about the fact that editing for a 3D doc could not just use existing strategies from 2D work. It has to be a different edit.

Above: the worst cell phone camera photo I've ever taken.

No comments: