Sunday, September 30, 2007

Photography Quote of the Day

From Interviews with Master Photographers, published in 1977:
James Danziger: Do you see the camera as being generous or cruel?

Elliott Erwitt: Depends on what you do with it.

James Danziger: I mean innately.

Elliott Erwitt: Innately it's nothing. The camera doesn't do it. It's the person behind it. You make certain decisions. I was never very fond of Mr. Nixon and I once went to the wedding of one of his daughters with the specific intention of taking unpleasant pictures of certain people I didn't like. The event was so spectacular, so well done, so beautiful, that I totally failed in my mission.

James Danziger: Do you believe in the power of photography to effect social change?

Elliott Erwitt: Yes. Absolutely.

James Danziger: Does that affect a lot of your work?

Elliott Erwitt: Not all. I'm sorry. I just don't. I don't like to get into this heavy attitude towards everything. I really don't have that.

No comments: