Thursday, November 10, 2011

Last Book Read

What was it: Evidence of My Existence

Who wrote it: Jim Lo Scalzo

Is it good? It's pretty good. It's not life changing. It's not meant to be.

Pros: Very honest. Gets into the process of news photography -- in this case, getting access, developing assignments and projects, and getting to the airport without losing your camera bag -- in the middle of an autobiography. Does well as a travelogue and a life story.

Cons: Mr. Lo Scalzo, by his own admission, isn't an easygoing, happy-go-lucky tour guide. He's got a few axes to grind and a lot to complain about. In fairness: he's honest about his own failings and rough edges. Still, he was a bit hard to root for along the way.

Who will like this book? I think anyone interested in photojournalism or travel will find it worth the read. I found his account of his younger days stronger than his description of his later career -- it was a more enjoyable trip with more of a sense of discovery.

Bookstore or Library? Library. I don't find myself wanting to re-read it, but I leave it with a feeling of having followed along on a journey. A worthwhile experience, overall.


No comments: