Sunday, August 20, 2006

New York Street Photography


My first day in New York was August 12, 2005. One of the goals I arrived with was to go back to my roots: street photography.

I have a couple of degrees in photography, and I spent five years as a curator in a photography museum. Somehow, though, over the years I had moved far away from my first love in photography: the idea of simply wandering with a camera -- no particular place to go....

The first photos I ever saw that I felt lived up to the full potential of the medium were the street photos of photographers like Garry Winogrand, Elliot Erwitt, Helen Levitt, Lee Friedlander, Robert Frank, and many others. I liked these for many reasons, one being that they seemed to be an effort to answer the question: "What is life like?"

So a year has passed, and I have completed my first street photography portfolio. The last day shooting was August 12, 2006.

Above: an image from my street photography portfolio Waiting for the April Fool's Parade (copyright 2006 Ted Fisher).

No comments: